Monday, June 28, 2010

To the Top of a Mountain

Our adventure the other day took us to the top of a large hill on the ranch. This hill has been calling my name since we moved here. So, Colton and I decided to climb it. I would guess it is a 1/2 mile or so to the top. A nice hike. Colton enjoyed it too. At the top there is a supposed Native American Burial ground. Also 1/2 way up there is a "rock chair" which probably was a grinding stone used by the natives. I did my homework and it looks like the Pend d' Oreille (pronounced: "Pond-a-Ray"), and Salish tribes were the most prominent in this area. So, it is a real possibility I suppose. Still an amazing view from the top of this hill. I am very proud of Colton for climbing it so willingly. He even ask frequently if we can climb "the mountain." We have since moved cows to pasture up there, but as soon as they are moved to summer pasture we will definitely be making the trek again. I think it may be one of my favorite spots on the entire ranch. An who knows maybe if I hike up there enough this summer, I will get back into a reasonable shape :o)



View of the hill we climbed - It really is quite big, this picture doesn't do it justice.


Colton taking a rest in the Rock Chair.

Rock chair / Native American grinding stone.


Colton: King of the mountain!

View to the west


View to the east

No comments:

Post a Comment